CMS On the Pulse episode #8: A legal overview on public procurement for the Life Sciences & Healthcare sector
Nick Beckett speaks with Virginie Dor (CMS Belgium), Bernt Elsner (CMS Austria) and Caroline Hobson (CMS UK).
In this episode, we discuss:
- the importance of public procurement in the Healthcare sector, representing approximately 10% of GDP in the E.U.
- the challenges for public procurement in extreme and unforeseen emergencies, including COVID-19
- the scrutiny of direct awards and potential legal challenges and sanctions
- the joint centralised procurement of vaccines in short timeframes and the benefits and pitfalls of such approach
- in what circumstances exclusivity, including due to IP rights or technical barriers, can justify derogation from public procurement procedures
- what changes do U.K. companies face in public procurement procedures in the E.U., and vice versa, in light of Brexit